20 Cholesterol-Lowering Foods to Add to Your Diet
Cholesterol, in and of itself, isn’t a bad thing. In fact, it’s a naturally occurring substance and our own bodies produce about 75 percent of the cholesterol in our blood. The other 25 percent comes from the foods we eat (cholesterol is only found in animal products). The problem with cholesterol comes when it gets out of balance—that’s when it can lead to heart disease, heart attack and stroke. But there’s good news: it’s something we can help control. By engaging in at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week, avoiding tobacco smoke and eating a heart-healthy diet, you can actually play an active role in lowering your cholesterol.